Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bill Todd for Mayor?

According to today's Columbus Dispatch, the Franklin County Republican Party is set to put forth Bill Todd as their candidate for Columbus Mayor in 2007. I was hoping to see Jennette Bradley, but she is apparently not interested in the race. I will hold out hope for a City Council run or something, because she is very electable in Columbus. Anyhow, Bill Todd is a noted elections attorney, and has definitely paid his dues in Republican politics. The article talks a bit about his campaigning past, and definitely puts it in a negative light. I, however, think Todd will be a solid candidate, even if he is not my first choice.

It is good to see Franklin County GOP putting up a good candidate, and putting up a candidate at all is an improvement over 2003, when there was no GOP candidate on the ballot against two-term Mayor Michael Coleman. Coleman seems to be moderately popular, but he strikes me as a buffoon, especially whenever I have been around him in person. Most notably would be his explosion on The Glenn Beck Program, and, for me personally, his actions prior to the 2006 St. Patrick's Day Parade. For quite some time, WNCI's morning show poked fun at the Mayor, who was only too happy to oblige in participating in the show's bit pieces.

Most shocking in the Dispatch article, though, was that Jim Petro had been asked about running for the office. Petro is a competent manager, even if I don't always like his politics or personality, but he came to Columbus after being a Cuyahoga County Commissioner. I have no stats or records in front of me to know for sure, but I would have to say such a switch would be unprecedented, to go from elected in one major city to another.

No comments: