Friday, November 17, 2006

Boehner re-elected to post as GOP Leader

In an unsurprising move this morning, current Majority Leader John Boehner, (R-OH) was re-elected with 168 votes of the GOP caucus, defeating Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN), who obtained 27 votes. Texas Rep. Joe Barton, who had dropped out of the race yesterday, still received 1 vote. Next up are elections for Minority Whip, GOP Conference Chair, and NRCC Chairman, with a handful of other less useful posts to be voted upon as well. Judging by Boehner's wide margin, Missouri's Roy Blunt will likely stay on as Whip, albeit in the Minority side this time, but the other races appear to be a toss-up. I would like to see Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) become the Conference Chair, and, in the other races, I don't have a preference one way or another.
I would like to think that Pence's loss will mean more of the same from the House GOP, especially since he was beaten badly, but we shall see. I hope that I am wrong! Finally, a shout-out to the fine folks at Save The GOP! who linked to my CRNC Elections post (more on this forthcoming as several key developments have come down in recent days; stay tuned).

No comments: