Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Columbus AM Radio Shakeup: Beck, Air America Out; Savage, Rome, Ingraham, and Riley In

Fans of Glenn Beck and Columbus-area listeners of Air America Radio are both seeing eye-to-eye on one thing this week: they are not happy with the planned shakeup at Columbus radio stations 610 WTVN and 1230 WTPG, beginning on January 9, 2007. At 610 WTVN, Glenn Beck is out (for now), and local host Joel Riley is in from 9 AM to noon. Rush Limbaugh will remain in his slot from noon until 3 PM; John Corby will be on air an extra hour each day, from 3 to 7. Sean Hannity moves up on 610, from 7-10 nightly, followed by Mark Levin from 10 PM to midnight. Beck will be leaving Columbus airwaves due to contractual matters, but it is my hope that he will return to some area station. This is his second market loss in Ohio, after 1100 WTAM in Cleveland booted Beck in favor of Jerry Springer in 2004. Joel Riley seems to do a good job with his current show on 610, airing from 6-9 PM, so we will see how the show does in a primetime slot. I am not the biggest fan of Sean Hannity or Mark Levin, so having them on at night simply means I will not be tuning in.

Over at 1230 WTPG, the changes are more substantial, including a change in format and in call letters. Air America Radio will be dropped, and the station will become 1230 WYTS, instead. Laura Ingraham and Michael Savage are both being picked up for primetime spots, and one of my personal favorites, Jim Rome, will bring his sports program to the air in Columbus from noon to 3 PM. Dave Ramsey, who hosts a syndicated financial help show, will also be joining the lineup, as will syndicated hosts Quinn & Rose, who take over morning drive time on 1230. I do not like Air America, obviously, but I am not a big fan of either Ingraham or Savage. As conservative as I am, Michael Savage is too far gone for my liking, and Ingraham brings nothing original to the table (the same reason that I do not listen to Sean Hannity). Jim Rome and Dave Ramsey are both welcome additions for me, though, with Rome's show being exceptionally great. Liberals in Columbus are predictably up in arms, and there is talk of conspiracy, boycott, and other ridiculous action that will not materialize.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I really like Mark Levin as a writer / author. I havent heard enough of him as a radio host to judge, however.

Cut the Crap said...

I can agree with liking him in print, but I just was not too impressed by him over the airwaves. He was recently added in this same 10 PM-midnight slot on Cincinnati's 55KRC (550 WKRC), as well, so he is coming on strong in key Ohio markets.

Anonymous said...

We like Dave Ramsey, a lot. We've been following his plan since Feb 'o7; that might be about the time I first discovered him on 1230am radio here in Columbus.