Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Real Reform platform supported by Wyoming's Stevens

Tonight Real Reform released a statement from Wyoming's Jessica Stevens, Chairman of the Wyoming Federation of College Republicans, on her support of reforms within the CRNC. Here is what Stevens had to say:

"I support Real Reform because it brings people together with programs and ideas that improve our organization, our federations, and our chapters."

This brings the total number of state chairmen pledged to support this platform to twelve. In other news, Justin D. Smith, Missouri Federation of College Republicans Chairman, has stepped down in a long-awaited move. Smith is graduating, and since Missouri's Constitution requires that officers be in school, he feels it time to move on. Smith released a letter containing his resignation in it; what follows is an excerpt from the letter:

"Although I could complete my term by enrolling in additional electives, I do not believe it would be right just so that I could keep my title for a few months longer. On top of that, many of you know that I am a vision and goals-oriented person. My goal as chairman was to make the College Republicans effective in the elections, and we made it with flying colors. But now that Election Day is behind us, I am afraid that by remaining I will halt the progress we have made. I do not want to be the reason our organization loses its momentum."

Smith will be succeeded by Vice-Chairman Taylor Burks, who is also a College Republican at Truman State in Missouri. Burks will complete Smith's unfinished term and appoint a new Vice-Chairman to fill his vacancy. It is not clear at this time whether Burks will pursue election to a full term as Chairman, but he would be in school and thus able to serve a full term next year. It is also not clear what role Smith will seek upon leaving his office. We will continue to follow this developing story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think John Donnelly is seriously entertaining a run for Chairman. He hasn't signed that platform of theirs and thats saying something cuz we KNOW which side he's on.

Cut the Crap said...

I say you may be right, but there is not support for it at this point. You could also say the same thing about Mason Harrison, simply because he is a big name from a big state, but we know he is not interested. Donnelly is still fighting 2005 in my opinion, for what that is worth. That YouTube video, which surfaced about a month ago, was clearly an attempt to get him off of the ground, but it most definitely did not work.